Dreams of selling the Lakeland area as a vacation paradise go back many
years. Men of vision journeying to the north in the early 1900's realized
the potential of the area... and began the business of the promotion
and selling of what we know today as The Minocqua Country Club.
1910 Vic Lamson of Fairfield, Iowa purchased the land known as The
Minocqua Country Club Complex. Vic divided the property into 100 foot
shoreline lots, and in 1911 the first private cottages were built. The
golf course was designed in 1915 by CC. Clark and Hubert Howard. The
clubhouse and the course were built and opened in 1916. O.E. Heisser of
the Minocqua Heights Hotel Co. and a professional golf expert, J.J.
Sturm of Chicago, were hired as instructor and director of the course in
1922. The Clubhouse was expanded to 100 feet long and 50 feet wide,
adding a kitchen, lobby, lounge, and screened veranda and the first
Clubhouse cottages were also built. The remodeled facility opened in
July of 1923. It became a popular place with two major golf tournaments
held each year.
Vic Lamson continued to sell his lots until his
death in 1926, although the ownership of the budding resort complex
changed hands many times, and there were a variety of plans announced
for its use, including a 100 room hotel, that never came to fruition.
complex operated under a board of directors from Chicago until 1934.
Under a reorganization in 1934, three principals incorporated under the
name Minocqua Country Club. 500 shares of stock in the Club were offered
with a face value of $100. This sale was completed in 1939.
1959 a new kitchen and air conditioning were added and the golf course
was re-done. In 1965 they started planning the second nine. They
completed architectural studies, but were not able to arrange financing.
In July of 1998, the shareholders of the Club approved expansion plans,
which included construction of a completely new golf course. Plans to
move ahead were contingent upon the Club raising
$2,000,000. This was accomplished on November 1, 1998 by signing up 150
golfing members and obtaining pledges of $50,000 each from ten
The following press release was issued on December 15,
"In early Fall, the Board authorized the engagement of Ron Garl as
the golf course designer for this project. Mr. Garl is well known
internationally for his designs and environmental concerns. Mr. Garl and
his associates visited the site, spending more than five days walking
not only the area where the additional holes are to be located, but also
examining the present routing of the current nine holes, looking for a
design that is compatible with our land and its natural beauty. We have
the potential to have the finest golf course in northern Wisconsin,
which will be playable by members of all levels of ability."
On July 4th, 2001, all 18-holes of this championship
golf course officially opened for play.
Currently, the club is
filled with an active membership that enjoys the finest golf and social
experiences. The original clubhouse remains today, although numerous
renovations and updates have been made, adding to its Northwoods charm.
The kitchen features a full fare of dining choices with extraordinary
service. Other recent improvements include the bar area, a new deck and
dining room overlooking beautiful Lake Minocqua, winterizing the club's
offices, as well as a new roof and air conditioning. The clubhouse
grounds have also been beautified with the addition of a new parking lot
and a complete, automated irrigation system. In addition, there are two
tennis courts with a budding tennis program beginning
to take shape.
Since its opening, the golf course has had
nothing but rave reviews and is currently listed on Golf Digest's "Best
in State" list. While it proves to be quite a challenge from the
championship tees, six sets of tees allow players of all abilities to
enjoy playing it on a regular basis. The golf course is consistently in
tournament condition, and provides a first rate practice facility that
includes a full driving range and a short game practice area.
We welcome you to come and enjoy this premiere golf club with a great Northwoods tradition.